LONDON: Managing Editor
Mr & Mrs Smith has a rare opportunity for a managing editor to join our London team and oversee the smooth running of editorial departments across offices in West London, New York and Melbourne.
First things first: although some travel is likely, and hotel visits will be involved, this is not a role to undertake if you imagine yourself travelling across the world reviewing stylish luxury hotels from sun-kissed Thai islands. If, however, you’re excited by the thought of taking the editorial helm of a fast-moving travel passion brand, working alongside some of the most talented people in the industry, and assuming responsibility for every word we publish, online and off, then come on down; we’d like to meet you.
Working with our part-time editor-in-chief and group editor, the managing editor directly manages a team of three editors in London, and remotely oversees two editors in New York and one in Melbourne. You’ll be working on a varied and ever-changing roster of editorial projects, so your organisational and diplomatic skills will need to be as evident as your editorial flair.
Skills and experience
• 5+ years’ experience in editorial, ideally including travel
• An instinctive grasp of Mr & Mrs Smith’s informative but irreverent voice
• A laser-precise focus on spelling, grammar, house style and tone, supported by demonstrable subbing experience
• A professional background in digital publishing (and, ideally, print)
• Experience of writing for ecomms, including enewsletters, etc
• A talent for producing sharp, witty and persuasive marketing copy
• Experience of managing a team of in-house and freelance staff, with all the diplomacy and objectivism that entails
• Strong communication skills with people of all levels – you should know how to get your voice heard
• Detailed knowledge of social media and building a credible brand in the social sphere
• A calm, unflappable demeanour in the face of unrealistic deadlines and seemingly insurmountable problems
• A fast-learning, problem-solving, DIY approach
Bonus points for:
• Experience working for large-scale ecommerce sites
• Detailed knowledge of boutique hotels worldwide
• Working knowledge of html, Photoshop and InDesign
• Coordinating the workflow of the EMEA editorial office and monitoring workload of regional teams
• Managing the timely launch of hotels on mrandmrssmith.com and smithandfamily.co.uk, including writing and editing hotel overviews, and uploading using our in-house CMS
• Maintaining the global voice of the Smith brand, incorporating a sensitivity to regional idiom
• Liaising with commercial, hotel support and marketing departments to coordinate hotel launches and coverage via ecomms, blog, social and press
• Writing and editing copy across all Smith sites, including homepages, booking pages, bespoke landing pages, specialist microsites and more, delegating tasks as appropriate
• Copywriting for EMEA marketing campaigns and member newsletters, online and off, and monitoring regional campaigns for quality and tone
• Writing and editing content including features for external press, blogs and online publications, as well as marketing materials such as press releases, and working with the founders on interviews, columns and industry comment
• Overseeing and contributing to Smith’s social media output, including Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Pinterest and Instagram, ensuring prompt responses to queries and complaints
• Providing an editorial perspective on site development and new product launches
• Acting as an ambassador for the Smith brand.
As Smith’s current managing editor is leaving in August, we’re looking for a candidate to be in place for a handover before the end of May. If this sounds like you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a CV, cuttings, and cover letter explaining why we’d be mad not to give you the role.
No agencies, please.
LONDON: Social Media Manager
Smith’s Chiswick office has a new opening for a multi-skilled, razor-sharp copywriter to be our social media manager, for all our channels including Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest and Instagram – for both Mr & Mrs Smith and Smith & Family. Through inspiring content, you will make these must-visit hubs for boutique hotel advice and inspiration 24/7, building followers and engagement, and you’ll able to measure the performance of your results-focused strategy. Are you a detail-obsessed sub-editor, picture editor, social-media expert, online marketer and travel blogger rolled into one?
The role entails:
• Collaborating with our marketing and editorial teams in London, New York and Melbourne
• Overseeing the social channels including Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest and
• Creating inspiring content in our voice and house style, and ensuring all posts are punctuation- and grammar-perfect
• Boosting our followings/presence across all platforms
• Providing great customer service on social channels, and building strong relationships
• Reinforcing our reputation as the world’s boutique hotel experts and from that increase the amount of people booking with us
• Signposting the world at large to our website and its insider tips to help people find and book the perfect stay
• Reminding our audiences that each hotel is personally visited by us and anonymously reviewed by tastemaker couples
We are looking for the following personality traits and qualifications:
A seriously GSOH
What distinguishes us from other online travel companies is our witty and irreverent editorial
The ability to source, interpret and share social media metrics, using them to inform tactical activity in keeping with the overall marketing strategy
Creative and imaginative
As well as helping with ideas on strategy, you will be acting as a picture editor and hopefully become the creative mind behind our social channels
Organised and able to multitask
Able to self-manage and work alongside various teams, you will act as a focal point for social media within Smith, maintaining a calendar of activity, and building and sustaining critical relationships with online journalists, marketers and content creators
You must love sharing insider travel tips and be a confident arbiter of stylish stays with visible day-to-day presence in communities, including leading conversations where appropriate
Passionate about travel
You'll need to be eager to find out hotels' news and be a good judge of what is 'Smithy' when creating content about travel.
If you tick all these boxes and then some, please email a cover letter, your CV and any relevant links that showcase your social prowess, to email@example.com.
The successful candiate will be responsible for front end development on the responsive Smith sites (smithcollections.com, smithandfamily.co.uk, www.mrandmrssmith.com and smithhotels.com) as well as internal tools, creating compelling interfaces for our customers, staff and hoteliers alike. We welcome creative input to the designs created by our talented inhouse design team.
To be considered for this role, you must have:
• Experience of working in an OO MVC environment
• Some exposure to Symfony, Git and Twig, or similar
• Great jQueryfoo, Backbone of iron or serious nodules of node.js
• A thorough understanding of accessibility guidelines and SEO best practice
• A demonstrable interest in intuitive UI and UX design
• Permission to work in the EU
The following experience would also be beneficial:
• Mobile/responsive design experience
• Experience of Backbone, jQuery and/or jQuery Mobile
• Experience of working with Symfony (2) and an understanding of any other PHP framework
Additionally, you must have a compelling portfolio and be keen to try new things, as well as the ability to describe what you did and the thinking behind it. Excellent communication skills, the ability to perform effectively under pressure, as well as the capacity to work independently or as part of a team will be needed.
To apply for this role, please send a copy of your CV, together with a cover letter and examples of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org.
LONDON: Customer Service Consultants
Up to £23K DOE
Mr & Mrs Smith is looking for experienced customer service and support professionals to fill positions on our Travel Team, helping to ensure Smith customers have the best experience possible.
The role will require the successful candidate to work five days a week (a minimum of four may be possible), from Friday to Tuesday.
• Providing a ahigh standard of aftersales care, arranging transfers, tickets, etc, as necessary
• Processing amendments and cancellations to member bookings and supporting Travel Team consultants with admin tasks
• Responding to enquiries via email, live chat and social media
• Answering phone calls at weekends
• Processing accommodation-only bookings for straightforward enquiries
• Taking detailed briefs on behalf of Travel Team consultants for more complex enquiries
• Handling customer queries and feedback over the weekend
• Assisting hoteliers with booking-related queries and resolving any overbookings or rate-parity issues over the weekend
• Providing ad hoc support to any current projects
• Ensuring 24/7 emergency contact over the weekend
• Mature outlook, with a professional attitude and a team-orientated approach
• Ability to analyse and resolve difficult situations diplomatically
• Excellent attention to detail, with great written and spoken communication skills
• Confidence with learning new systems
• Passion for travel (experience in the industry is a benefit)
In short: if you're a confident, problem-solving people person, please send a covering letter explaining why you’re the perfect addition to Smith, along with your CV, to email@example.com before 7 March.
LONDON: Internships at Mr & Mrs Smith
Mr & Mrs Smith has ongoing internship programmes for UK residents in a number of departments at our London office, and we’re always interested in hearing from bright, motivated and travel-savvy students and graduates eager to dip their toes in the boutique-hotel world.
Placements are available in the following departments:
We are on the hunt for a motivated applicant to join Smith's commercial department for a two-month full-time placement. The role would best suit someone who is detail-focused, tech-confident and interested in gaining insight into the travel industry.
The succesful applicant will help contribute to the smooth operation of the commercial team, with particular focus on maintaining Mr & Mrs Smith's competitiveness in price and availability online. For this, excellent communication by email and phone and strong interpersonal skills are required. Other tasks may include assistance in research of curation trips, which entails mapping prospective hotels as well as gaining information on their suitability for the collection.
We’re looking for a proactive and motivated intern to work with us on a full-time placement for up to two months. This exciting role will support our PR team and would best suit someone with stellar written and spoken communication skills and first-class attention to detail. Tasks will include updating press contacts, compiling press clippings, sourcing images for the web and print features, and general travel industry research. You will also assist with ongoing marketing projects involving our brand partnerships, including our prestigious events, high-profile promotions, membership schemes and the sales of our hotel guidebooks.
We have a seasonal intern placement available from October 2013 for an ambitious Excel whizz at the beginning of their accounts career. The placement lasts a minimum of six weeks (possibly more) and may include raising and distributing invoices, allocating payments, data input and a variety of adhoc admin tasks. It’s the ideal opportunity for someone with a little financial experience who’s eager to learn more about invoicing and credit control in a fast-paced travel business.
Our busy online marketing department is looking for interns who can commit to a minimum of two months, either full-time or part-time. Working at the vangard of marketing technology, you'll be assisting with our global paid-search accounts, as well as undertaking research and competitor analysis. This internship will give you a broad understanding of key online marketing channels and insight into how successful campaigns are built. We need someone who isn't afraid of spreadsheets and working with data, and the internship would be perfect for someone looking to forge a career in this exciting and rapidly growing area.
This internship, lasting two to three months, gives you the chance to work alongside our boutique hotel experts, at the frontline of Mr & Mrs Smith. You will be representing our brand to our members, assisting with taking calls, be actively involved with our online booking service, delivering our highly regarded after-sales service, and making sure every detail is taken care of so that our members are guaranteed the perfect Smith stay.
We're interested in hearing from bright, web-savvy would-be wordsmiths with an interest in travel and ambitions to work in journalism and web and print publishing. Interns will be with our editorial team full-time for two–four weeks (depending on their availability), assisting with the creation of insider travel content for our website and travel blog, and learning about all aspects of writing and editing. An English degree would be highly beneficial, and any experience subbing or proofreading would be useful – as would familiarity with WordPress or similar software.
We’re on the prowl for someone who’s enthusiastic, friendly and looking for all-round office experience. Duties will include helping with picture editing, answering and redirecting calls, arranging meetings and general office administration: updating databases, keeping track of stock and ensuring the day-to-day maintenance of the Smith office. There’ll also be plenty of opportunities to assist other departments.
If you’re interested in any of the opportunities above, please send your CV and a cover letter outlining your skills and availability to firstname.lastname@example.org, specifying which role you are interested in the subject line.
MELBOURNE: Internships at Mr & Mrs Smith
Mr & Mrs Smith Asia Pacific is on the hunt for switched-on interns to assist our small yet dynamic team in Melbourne. We’re always keen to hear from enthusiastic students and graduates who have an interest in travel and are looking to break into the fields of marketing, PR, journalism and publishing.
Placements are currently available in the following departments:
PR & marketing
We’re looking for a motivated intern to work with us on a full-time placement for a minimum of two months. This exciting role will involve working closely with our marketing and PR departments and would best suit someone with stellar written and verbal communication skills. Tasks will include updating press contacts, compiling press clippings, sourcing images for the web and print features, and general travel industry research. You will also assist with ongoing projects involving our brand partnerships, including our prestigious events, high-profile promotions, membership schemes and the sales of our hotel guidebooks.
We're keen to find a business analayst with training wheels on to assist our MD and Management Accountant. The role could be part-time over an extended period, or full-time for a shorter time. Key tasks include: analysis of customer purchase data to establish clearer patterns of behavior – inputting to marketing strategy; analysis of external market dynamics in new and emerging markets for Mr & Mrs Smith in Asia Pacific – inputting to market development strategy; analysis of internal processes and productivity with a view to find better and more cost-effective ways of working – inputting to operational strategy; analysis of opportunities within the hotel channel for new services and marketing extensions – inputting to b2b strategy. Candidates will likely be MBA or Commerce students or graduates with a predilection for all the things that excite us: boutique travel, style, great customer service, brand passion and working with smart, generous, driven fellow professionals. They will be literate in business-case modelling, clear strategic thinkers and all-round clever people.
The search is on for a savvy intern with a flair for writing and web-based publishing to assist our editorial department. This placement is available ideally for five days a week, over two to three months, and will offer a great introduction to the world of boutique hotels, travel writing and both print and online editing. You’ll assist our team with a variety of tasks, including researching and fact-checking insider travel content, providing administrative support and writing short pieces for press and our award-winning website. An English, journalism or communications degree would be highly beneficial, as would familiarity with InDesign and WordPress or similar software.
We are on the hunt for a motivated applicant for the newly created Hotel Partnerships intern position on a part-time placement for a minimum of two months. This exciting role will involve working closely with our Hotel Relations department and would best suit someone who is detail-focussed, tech-confident, and interested in gaining insight into the travel industry. Tasks will include destination and hotel research, trip planning and administrative support. You will also have the chance to assist the team with marketing/PR communications, data analysis and reporting.
If you’re interested in any of the opportunities above, please send your CV and a cover letter outlining your skills and availability to email@example.com, specifying which role you are interested in the subject line. Please note that although these are not paid internships, we will cover daily expenses up to $20.