Style His ’n’ hers luxury leisure
Setting Top-hole Bucks golf course
One of Smith's first finds, Stoke Park is an enormous, imposing stately mansion designed by 'Mad' King George III’s architect, which, if it weren’t for the Union Jack flying, would look like a mini White House. As well as boasting a golf course (where James Bond and Goldfinger enjoyed a round, no less), Stoke Park has its own incredible spa, Stoke Park Spa, separate from the mansion, with an inviting indoor pool looking over the gardens.
Need to know
- Rooms 49, including 14 suites.
Double rooms from AU$279.14 (£179), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (£179) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast (£22).
- Facilities 27-hole championship golf course, golf academy and indoor golf studio, 350 acres of parkland, free WiFi in all rooms and communal areas, spa with indoor pool, 13 indoor and outdoor tennis courts, gym, dance studio and treatment centre. In rooms: iPod dock, flatscreen TV, DVD player and SPC bath products.
- Poolside There's an indoor heated pool.
- Check-out 11am. Earliest check-in, 3pm.
- Children Children are welcome. Cots are free and extra beds are £35 a night. A local babysitter can be arranged with five days’ notice for £8–£10 an hour plus £25 and a booking fee. There's a crèche, games room and playground. More...
- Also Stoke Park runs its own acclaimed Golf Academy, with expert tuition, a swing-analysis video suite, swing studio and driving range.
- Hotel closed 24–26 December annually.
Food and drink at Stoke Park
Award-winning Humphry's restaurant serves Modern British cuisine courtesy of chef Chris Wheeler, and the best Sunday lunch in the area. Look out for Dorset crab, local lamb and whole arrays of chocolatey, pudding-shaped treats. The Orangery offers all-day dining, from morning to evening, as does the Italian restaurant, San Marco, in the Pavilion.
- Dress code Keep up appearances: no trainers, only smart denim, and maybe collared shirts for the boys.
- Top table By the window for the view.
- Last orders Breakfast is 7am–10am; lunch is 12pm–2.30pm; dinner is 7pm–9.45pm. The bar’s open until around 11pm.
- Room service Selected hot dishes and snacks are available all day and night.
The President's Bar is open all day from 7am. Settle in for a cosy Saturday afternoon, when the bar's at its busiest.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Stoke Park Park Road, Stoke Poges, Buckinghamshire, Buckinghamshire, SL2 4PG
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Stoke Park
A bottle of wine on arrival
In the know
Our favourite rooms
If the budget will stretch, ask for the four-poster suite that Hugh and Renée shared in Bridget Jones’ Diary. Otherwise, ask for a room with a view. The hotel's newest rooms are the 28 in the Pavilion building where the spa is situated; they're more contemporary in style, and dotted with far Eastern antiques. If you're into your gadgetry, book one of the two 'Bling' suites, which boast state-of-the-art sound systems and LED mood lighting – as well as plush four-posters.
Swimwear, tennis kit (but leave the racquets behind – you can use the hotel's), golf club, 'Goldfinger', 'Bridget Jones's Diary' and 'Layer Cake' DVDs.
Clear your credit card: golf is not a cheap hobby, and the shop sells everything you may have forgotten or never knew you needed.