Style Fifties family home
Setting Upmarket Tres Torres
Run by the same family who’ve lived here since 1955, Primero Primera in Barcelona has Fifties glamour (toffee-brown wood and leather, mid-century furniture, sepia photography) and a quiet, exclusive setting.
Need to know
- Rooms 30, including 10 suites.
Double rooms from AU$227.74 (€173), excluding tax at 10 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional government tax of €1.21 per person per night on check-out.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€173) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include WiFi, free minibar and snacks. Buffet breakfast is extra (€15 each).
- Facilities Gardens, small gym, library, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, iPod dock, minibar, Gilchrist & Soames bath products.
- Check-out 12 noon, but flexible, subject to availability. Earliest check-in, 1pm.
- Children The hotel has the bare essentials for little Smiths: cots for babies and beds (free) for under-12s; a local nanny available for babysitting (book 48 hours in advance).
- Also Dogs can come too for €25 a night, but remember to bring everything they need.
Food and drink at Primero Primera
Every morning, follow the smell of freshly baked bread wafting from the snug bar area and settle in for the spread: home-made cakes, croissants, hams, fruit, cereals and yoghurt. Befitting a bar-cum-breakfast room, decor is cool and casual: cowhide bar stools, cushion-strewn sofas, framed sepia photographs and bookshelves crammed with National Geographic. Breakfast is the only meal the hotel serves, giving guests all the more reason to discover the city’s tapas joints and sherry bars.
- Dress code Euroflash with vintage accents. Channel the Fifties feel: ladies, opt for full skirts with nipped-in waists; gents, follow Don Draper’s lead.
- Top table Out on the little terrace if it’s sunny; inside by the fire if it’s not.
- Last orders Help yourselves to drinks from the honesty bar at any time. Breakfast is served from 7.30am until 10.30am.
- Room service Request Continental breakfast in your room between 8am and 11am.
The breakfast room doubles up as the bar room. Expect to hear the likes of Sade warbling away as you deliberate over which Spanish wine to uncork (remember to jot down the damage in the honesty bar’s log book).
Primero Primera Doctor Carulla 25-29, Barcelona, 08017
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Primero Primera
Cake and cava as an in-room treat
In the know
Our favourite rooms
For its tall ceilings, large terrace and sunset views, Room 22. For its wooden four-poster, citrusy shots of colour, mountain-view terrace and separate living room, Room 45. For its sloping beamed ceilings and bottle-green walls, Room 42.
Bring a book of cocktail recipes for the honesty bar but leave weighty novels behind: the hotel has a stash of magazines and vintage tomes for guests to plunder.
Let staff know if you hanker after a personal shopper, or need a courier or hired car.