Lyall Hotel and Spa
Style Modern art, Asian heart
Setting Shop-filled South Yarra
Chic, seductive and sophisticated, the Lyall Hotel and Spa is where Carrie from Sex and the City would stay in Melbourne if she were in town. Set in upscale shopping neighbourhood South Yarra, its classy cocktail of sleek rooms, sensual day spa and intimate champagne bar, mixed with handy retail therapy, is perfect for girls or guys seeking a stylish mini-break.
Need to know
- Rooms 40, ranging from one- and two-bedroom Deluxe rooms to Grand and Platinum suites.
Double rooms from AU$290.91, excluding tax at 10 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (AU$291) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include newspaper and 24-hour gym use. Continental breakfast is AU$20; à la carte, AU$30, a credit card surcharge of 1.5% applies against all accepted credit cards.
- Facilities DVD, CD and book library, free WiFi throughout, spa, gym. In rooms: two flatscreen TVs, cable channels, CD/DVD players, iPod speakers on request, kitchen with fridge and washer-dryer, minibar, terrace.
- Check-out 11am, but flexible if available (from noon you’ll be charged 50 per cent of your room rate; after 5pm, for an extra night). Check-in, 2pm.
- Children Welcome: kids can stay for free if using existing bedding, or the hotel can supply baby cots or rollaway beds for AU$30 each. Babysitting can be arranged with a nanny for a minimum of three hours for AU$80, then AU$20 an hour. More...
- Also Arm yourself with the Lyall's exclusive Shopping Privilege Card, which offers guests 10 per cent off at over 20 chic local stores, such as fashion boutique Assin and Shoes by Alberto Piazza.
Food and drink at Lyall Hotel and Spa
- Hotel restaurant Ground-floor Bistro Lyall serves up light and healthy cuisine, such as chicken sandwiches and tasty hamburgers. Pop in for breakfast, lunch or dinner (the space morphs into the Champagne Bar by night). Decor is restrained, with moss green upholstered chairs, dark wood and smart mirror details.
- Dress code Labels, darling. You won’t go wrong with finds from local fashion stores Mimco, Alannah Hill, Collette Dinnigan or Scanlan & Theodore (find their boutiques on nearby Chapel Street).
- Top table If it’s sunny, grab a table outdoors on the shaded terrace.
- Last orders As a guest you can order drinks 24-hours a day, either in your suite or in the hotel's public areas. The bar is open from 3pm till midnight though, with peak time between 6pm and 8pm.
- Room service A full menu of modern, multicultural dishes is available 24 hours a day.
- Hotel bar Cool your heels after all that South Yarra retail therapy at the small but sexy Lyall Champagne Bar, to the right of reception, which offers intimate tables and bar stools for sociable perching. Signature drinks include the Lyall Cranberry Champagne Cocktail and the addictive Apple Crumble Martini, or just enjoy an afternoon latte (the bar opens from 3pm till midnight). Expect jazz or easy listening tunes, not a thumping DJ.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Lyall Hotel and Spa 14 Murphy Street, , South Yarra, Melbourne, Victoria 3141
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Lyall Hotel and Spa
A bottle of Chandon NV (Australian sparkling wine) on arrival
Offers at Lyall Hotel and Spa
In the know
Our favourite rooms
You can swing several cats in the vast rooftop Platinum Suite, dubbed the Platinum Blonde Suite after past celeb guests, including Gwen Stefani, Pamela Anderson and Paris Hilton. It comes with a separate living room, ensuite bathroom, a double spa bath, iPod speakers, graceful fireplaces, a kitchen (ideal for longer stays) and an airy terrace with dreamy views. We’d be content in one of the spacious one-bedroom suites though, which still resemble deluxe city apartments.
Bring your credit card as there's plenty of designer shopping in chichi South Yarra ideal for maxing it out. A spare Samsonite suitcase (Marc Newson's stylish design, naturally) to bear your fashionable finds home.
Zap your stress at Lyall’s rated destination day spa, a serene, white three-storey space scented with ylang-ylang and mandarin. We recommend the Lyall Signature Spa Ritual, a two-hour massage and facial. There are two steam rooms and an indoor-outdoor area for relaxing.