Lower Slaughter Manor
Style Refined country seat
Setting Gloucestershire’s prettiest village
Luxe drapery in opulent fabrics – yup. Sexy aubergine and taupe colour scheme – check. Enormous, Princess-and-the-Pea-dimensioned bed – can’t miss it. Lower Slaughter Manor knocks the traditional formula for rural retreats on its head, with all the boutique-hotel trimmings you'd expect of a designer pad in town. Only, instead of busy streets and high-rises, at this stately country manor in the Cotswolds you're surrounded by beautiful landscaped gardens, a tiny village and, beyond that, rolling fields. Perfection.
Need to know
- Rooms 19, including nine suites.
Double rooms from AU$312.53 (£188), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (£188) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include full English breakfast and a newspaper.
- Facilities Five acres of landscaped gardens, croquet lawn, tennis court, DVD library. In rooms, Vi-Spring mattresses, TV, CD/DVD player, iPod dock, free WiFi, bottled water and sherry, fresh fruit.
- Check-out 11am, but flexible subject to availability. Check-in, 2pm.
- Children Lower Slaughter Manor is a good choice for getaways en famille, particularly if your children are young. Three sets of rooms can be connected for families. Cots (free) and extra beds (£50 a night, including breakfast) can be provided. More...
- Also Two-night minimum stay at weekends.
Food and drink at Lower Slaughter Manor
Silk-lined, crystal-spangled Sixteen58 offers fine dining from Andrew Birch using local, seasonal delights. The sommelier has amassed an impressive cellar of vintage champagnes and prestige wines.
- Dress code It’s not stuffy here, but pack your smartest casuals.
- Top table An intimate table for two overlooking the gardens.
- Last orders 9.30pm in the restaurant.
- Room service During restaurant hours you can order from the Sixteen58 menu, out of those hours classic room service favourites are available, such as sandwiches and soup.
There’s no bar, but waiters will bring you whatever you desire. The drinks menu will melt whisky-lovers’ hearts.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Lower Slaughter Manor Lower Slaughter, Cotswolds, GL54 2HP
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Lower Slaughter Manor
A half-bottle of house champagne in your room on arrival, and late check-out (12 noon)
In the know
Our favourite rooms
For an extravagant weekend of romance, book one of the ground-floor Garden rooms in the Coach House: Valentine Strong is a decadent suite with a bathroom featuring twin roll-top baths that gives onto a private garden with a hot tub; Magnolia is a huge double with a freestanding bath and private garden. Deluxe and Master rooms on the second floor of the main house have wonderful views of the village; Mrs Smiths will love Longborough – it has a freestanding roll-top bath and a separate dressing room.
Slippers, robes and luxury toiletries are all provided. Bring your bathers if you fancy a dip in the hot tub, and activity-proof clothes if you want to try quad-biking, rock-climbing or any of the other more mud-prone outdoors options.
Book in-room beauty treatments, or get the hotel to arrange boredom-busting activities: they can sort out anything from archery and rock-climbing to murder-mystery evenings, blind 4x4 driving, and duck herding. yes, you did read that correctly.