Style Retro Cuban remix
Setting Sight-studded River Walk
Steps from San Antonio’s renowned River Walk, Hotel Havana is a hymn to vintage Cuban glamour, all soft pastels and wrought-iron retro. When a hotel bar stocks its sodas on the basis of bottle design, you know you’re in good hands.
Need to know
- Rooms 27, including 11 suites.
Double rooms from AU$107.81 ($105), excluding tax at 16.75 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($105) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast, from US$20.
- Facilities Private parking, free Wi-Fi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, pre-loaded iPod with dock, fully stocked Smeg minibar, radio, and Red Flower toiletries.
- Check-out 12 noon, but flexible up until 2pm. Earliest check-in, 3pm.
- Children Little Smiths are welcome, with cots and roll-out beds available free. That said, the hotel is more suited for romantic getaways.
- Also Pets are welcome, for US$25 a day.
Food and drink at Hotel Havana
Ocho restaurant has a tempting pan-Latin menu, glass walls, a soaring ceiling (opened up in warmer months) and a prime perch overlooking the River Walk. The inventive breakfast menu has caused a bit of a buzz: try the plantain griddle cakes with Mexican crema and blueberries or the shrimp and crab campachena.
- Dress code Rakish open shirts, smouldering skirt suits – channel Bogart and Bacall in To Have and Have Not.
- Top table The terraces dotted around the hotel are perfect for evening mojitos.
- Last orders The bar opens at 5pm, and closes at midnight (2am on Fridays and Saturdays).
- Room service None.
Hidden in the basement, Ocho Lounge is a sexy speakeasy lit with dozens of candles encased in red glass. The saffron yellow, red, brown and orange furnishings contrast with cool turquoise walls, and the drinks menu includes mescal coffee, Mexican beer, rum, and cocktails. In keeping with the Cuban spirit (if not it's still-embargoed tobacco exports), cigars are available to smoke from the hotel’s terraces.
Hotel Havana 1015 Navarro, San Antonio, Texas 78205
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Hotel Havana
Two cocktails in the bar
Offers at Hotel Havana
In the know
Our favourite rooms
We love the exposed brickwork and modest price tag of room 15, a Havana King. Room 12, a Queen suite, has even more exposed brick, and a separate living or working area, sectioned off by large floor-to-ceiling windows. For full-blown luxury, room 31, the Penthouse Suite, is definitely worth the splurge. The duplex apartment features a dramatic blue wrought-iron staircase that leads up to the mezzanine bedroom. The ensuite is tiled in a retro sky blue and contains a huge tub, exposed drencher shower and a mustard yellow velour armchair.
A sunhat for battling the Texan heat; active types should pack running shoes: the Riverwalk is a picturesque favourite for joggers.
If you ask at the front desk, they’ll bring an Apple TV, loaded with Cuban movies, to your room.