Style Revamped royal townhouse
Setting Coastal old-town Andalucía
Once the home of Napoleon III’s wife, Hotel Claude in Marbella is a 17th-century townhouse, revamped and restyled to meld authentic period features with modern design pizzazz. Original elements such as the well and Moorish arches are complemented by huge purple banquettes, hanging glass lanterns and a shady roof terrace where you can sit to watch the world wander by on the winding streets below.
Need to know
- Rooms Seven, including one suite.
Double rooms from AU$335.30 (€255), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€255) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include breakfast and entry to the nearby O2 Wellness Centre.
- Facilities Library, roof terrace, DVD/CD selection, free WiFi throughout. Guests can use the nearby spa, pool and fitness centre. In rooms: flatscreen TV, DVD player, iPod dock. All rooms have king-size beds.
- Poolside A few minutes walk from the hotel, Marbella’s O2 Wellness Centre has two heated pools available to Hotel Claude’s guests.
- Check-out 1pm. Check with reception when you arrive if you want to arrange a later departure.
- Children Baby cots can be provided free and babysitting can be arranged via an external agency (€15–€20 an hour). The restaurant supplies high chairs and a children’s menu, and will heat milk or baby food on request.
- Also To maintain the pin-drop-peaceful atmosphere, mobile phones are frowned upon. Guests can smoke on the roof terrace.
Food and drink at Hotel Claude
None, but Hotel Claude's chef can provide light meals and snacks on request and, with 48 hours' notice, can rustle up dinner. In summer, you can eat by candlelight on the roof terrace.
- Dress code Rat-pack suits and plenty of sparkle.
- Top table In one of the roof terrace’s many intimate nooks – try the pagoda surrounded by billowing muslin, or secure yourself the terracotta-toned private dining area.
- Last orders Drinks are available through the night.
- Room service There’s a 24-hour snack menu.
There’s no bar area, but you can settle down with a cocktail in the library, surrounded by ceiling-high shelves of architectural and design tomes, or gaze out at the rooftops from the terrace. Soft drinks and coffee available from an honesty bar.
Hotel Claude 5 Calle San Francisco, Casco Antiguo, Marbella, Málaga, 29601
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Hotel Claude
A bottle of cava and a fruit plate on arrival
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Claude’s seven rooms are each uniquely styled – top of our to-book list is Francesca, the only room that looks out onto the old town’s main street. A large balcony and a huge floor-to-ceiling window keep it bright and airy, and the high, wood-beamed ceilings and decorative arch leading to the minimalist mosaic-fitted bathroom create a sense of spaciousness. Up in the eaves, Flammandes overlooks the roof terrace and has its own private stairwell leading up to a smart loft-style studio with glossy oak floors and a semi-open-plan bathroom. Listening to the church chime outside and looking out over the steeple, you feel like a princess in a tower. Savannah and North African-themed Marroquí are joined by a courtyard, making them ideal for families or friends travelling together.
Don’t bother bringing a deck of cards – there’s a load of games in the library to help you pass the time or practise your card-sharp skills for Marbella's casinos..
Make sure you have a taste for tapas; some of the Costa’s most tantalising bars are on your doorstep.