Style Historic fine dining
Setting Verdant Lune Valley
A cluster of ivy-clad stone buildings set in three acres of greenery, Lancashire restaurant with rooms Hipping Hall is a lovingly restored 15th-century hamlet. In contrast to the soothing neutrals and airy tranquility of the bedrooms, the reception room, bar and lounge are strikingly opulent, with just a dash of kitsch. The elegant bathrooms have all been designed in a different natural stone, with deep double-ended baths.
Need to know
- Rooms Nine: six in the main house; three in a cottage across the courtyard.
Double rooms from AU$168.44 (£108), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (£108) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include breakfast.
- Facilities Handmade beds, Vi‑Spring mattresses, flatscreen TVs, CD players, underfloor heating in bathrooms, and toiletries by the Bath House in Sedbergh.
- Check-out 11am, but pretty flexible; earliest check‑in, 3pm.
- Children Welcome, though there is no special menu in the restaurant. There is a foldaway bed, and Room 6 has a sofa bed, with an extra charge only if your child is having dinner.
- Also Guests with a small and well-behaved dog can be accommodated in the duplex cottage room. There’s usually a two‑night minimum stay on Saturdays, but check for late availability.
- Hotel closed Hipping Hall will be closed for refurbishment 7–28 January 2013.
Food and drink at Hipping Hall
Under high‑vaulted eaves in a 15th‑century banqueting hall with a minstrels’ gallery, you can feast on New Zealander Brent Hulena’s modern take on traditional rustic classics. Seasonal veg are plucked straight from Hipping Hall’s walled garden.
- Dress code Loosen your collar as much as you like.
- Top table In front of the fire in winter, or on the balcony in summer.
- Last orders 1.45pm for lunch, 9.30pm for dinner. Drinks are served as late as you like.
- Room service Drinks only, from 7.45am until 11.30pm.
Residents can relax at all hours in the oak‑panelled bar, by the fire or looking out over the landscaped gardens.
Hipping Hall Cowan Bridge, Kirkby Lonsdale, Lake District, LA6 2JJ
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Hipping Hall
A gift box of toiletries from the Bath House of Sedbergh
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Light and spacious Room 2 has exposed beams, a limestone bathroom and views of the garden. High‑ceilinged Room 4 is also airy and big, overlooking the front garden. Room 6 is the largest in the main house, with a separate snug sofa area, and its natural‑stone, garden‑view bathroom has a big whirlpool bath. In the cottage, split‑level Room 7 has a spiral staircase leading up to the bedroom and bathroom.
Walking boots and big appetite.