Hacienda Santa Rosa
Style Colonial relaxation plantation
Setting Sleepy Yucatan village
Close to Mérida and the Yucatan Peninsula’s Caribbean coast, Hacienda Santa Rosa is a Mexico boutique hotel vibrantly painted in brick red and cobalt blue. Looking out through the arches of the colonnaded terrace where dinner is served, you can see wide green lawns, the enormous botanic gardens that supply its kitchen with fruit and vegetables, and the distinctive Yucatan jungle beyond, home to hundreds of tropical bird species.
Need to know
- Rooms 11.
Double rooms from AU$238.05 ($230), excluding tax at 19 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional service charge of 5% per room per night on check-out.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($230) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast.
- Facilities Spa treatments, (temperamental) WiFi in the main building. In rooms: TV, CD player, open fireplace, minibar. DVD players are available for a fee.
- Poolside As well as a shallow wading pool stretching across the lawn, Santa Rosa has a deeper pool that reaches underneath part of the main hacienda, allowing you to swim through the arches of the smoky red building into the shady caves beneath.
- Check-out Midday, but flexible depending on occupancy and subject to a $40 charge.
- Children Up to two under-12s can stay free in their parents’ room – cots and extra beds are available free; babysitting can be provided with 24 hours’ notice.
- Also Smoking is allowed in all rooms.
Food and drink at Hacienda Santa Rosa
- Hotel restaurant Although the restaurant has a grand room indoors for cooler nights, most dining is done on the terrace outside. Gilded black lanterns hang from the beams, illuminating a row of round tables, where guests enjoy mixed Mexican and European cuisine.
- Dress code Linens for lounging, dresses for dining.
- Top table On the front terrace, overlooking the town’s ancient church. Breakfast by the pool beside the botanic gardens.
- Last orders Santa Rosa’s kitchen is open until 10.30pm.
- Room service Restaurant meals can be enjoyed in your room from 7am–10.30pm.
- Hotel bar Although there’s no bar as such, you’re free to enjoy a drink anywhere in the hacienda’s grounds.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Hacienda Santa Rosa Km 129, Carretera Merida Champeche, Maxcanu, Yucatán, 97805
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Hacienda Santa Rosa
Daily American breakfast for two
In the know
Our favourite rooms
We liked the seclusion and spaciousness of the Mayan Villa, as well as the hanging bed, suspended from the ceiling by thick ropes, which gently sways you to sleep. The large terrace is great for lingering breakfasts before a dip in the private plunge pool. Two of the Junior Suites in the main building share an ample private garden and swimming pool with the Deluxe Suite, the hacienda’s largest, which has a living room too. All rooms are decorated in colonial style, with attractive red and cream tile and cotton hammocks enticingly slung across the corner.
A mask and snorkel are essential gear if you plan on exploring the cenotes (underground rivers) at nearby Chochola; otherwise, insect repellent and a good book will help you while away lazy days by the pool.
Ask for a tour of Santa Rosa’s botanical gardens. Spread over 9,200 square metres, the gardens contain a vast assortment of plants used in cooking and medicinal remedies, as well as some rare species.