Hacienda San Jose
Style Secret garden estate
Setting Jungly heart of Yucatan
Ensconced in a gorgeously gardened pocket of jungle, Hacienda San Jose is one of the Yucatan Peninsula’s best-kept secrets. Rescued from ruin and rebuilt with relaxation in mind, its 15 cream-and-terracotta coloured rooms are ideal rest-stops for expeditions to the capital city of Mérida, the ‘yellow city’ of Izamal, and ancient city and new wonder of the world, Chichen Itza.
Need to know
- Rooms 15, including four villas.
Double rooms from AU$237.48 ($230), excluding tax at 19 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional service charge of 5% per room per night on check-out.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($230) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast.
- Facilities Mayan spa treatments, library, free WiFi in the main building. In rooms: open fireplace, minibar. DVD players are available for a fee.
- Poolside Cosy cushioned loungers line one side of the Hacienda’s huge pool. On the other side, colourful fronds of foliage stretch out over the water. A thatched palapa frames one end, offering a shaded space for hammock-snoozing.
- Check-out Midday, but flexible depending on occupancy and subject to a $40 charge.
- Children Up to two under-12s can stay free in their parents’ room; babysitting can be provided with 24 hours’ notice.
- Also You can smoke anywhere in the Hacienda.
Food and drink at Hacienda San Jose
- Hotel restaurant Located in what was once the old factory and is now a stunning colonnaded terrace, San Jose’s restaurant serves a flavoursome combination of Mexican and European dishes, using organic ingredients grown either here or at the other haciendas.
- Dress code Jungle casuals will do for the day, but something smarter for the evening.
- Top table The hacienda’s staff will be happy to prepare a private table in the gardens, where you can enjoy candlelit dining à deux, with music on request.
- Last orders The kitchen closes at 9.30pm.
- Room service Between 7am and 10.30pm you can have meals, snacks and drinks delivered directly to you.
- Hotel bar There is a lounge bar that’s open on special occasions, but for most of the time, you can sip cocktails or sup wine anywhere you wish.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Hacienda San Jose Km 30 Carretera Tixkokob-Tekanto, Tixkokob, Yucatán, 97470
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Hacienda San Jose
Daily American breakfast for two
In the know
Our favourite rooms
For that inimitable ‘villainous-landowner-in-a-Mexican-telenovela’ feel, go for the Casa del Patron next to the chapel and relish the private garden, terrace and pool. For something a bit more romantic and intimate, the Mayan Villas are the top option. These round thatched casitas are set apart from the main hacienda building in their own private patch of jungle, have private plunge-pools for midnight skinny dipping, and are fitted with hanging beds that rock you gently to sleep.
Boots made for walking, books made for reading (and to cover your face with as you’re dozing in a hammock).
The spa’s Mayan masseuses are all from the local towns and have been expertly trained by the Haciendas Foundation to deliver firm-handed stress-evicting massages.