Coqui Coqui Valladolid
Style Aromatic apothecary
Setting Colonial Calzada de los Frailes
A minimal colonial retreat set atop a perfumery, Coqui Coqui Valladolid stands out in this sleepy Yucatán town thanks to its frangipani-scented courtyard, thatched-roof spa and elegant solo suite. Kitted out with chandeliers, colourful tiled floors and thoughtful furnishings, a stay here is a study in sexy simplicity.
Need to know
- Rooms One suite.
Double rooms from AU$236.42 ($230), excluding tax at 19 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($230) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates usually include Continental breakfast.
- Facilities Perfumery, spa, gardens, library, stash of CDs and free WiFi throughout. In rooms: CD player, iPod dock and Coqui Coqui Perfumes bath products.
- Poolside Flanked by trees and fragrant flowers, the rustic outside plunge pool has a weathered stone exterior and buckets of wild charm.
- Check-out Noon, but flexible, subject to availability and a fee (US$60). Earliest check-in,11am.
- Also Smoking is allowed in the outside areas. Pets are welcome in the garden and on the terrace of the suite.
Food and drink at Coqui Coqui Valladolid
Soundtracked by French tunes, Café de Los Frailes is rustic and sweet with a thatched roof and seating inside and out. An antique glass cabinet serves as a countertop, holding a selection of pastries, cakes, coffees and teas for tasting. Two oversized vintage mirrors and an old oil painting of a voluptuous vixen grace the walls. More substantial meals are made by the Coqui Coqui’s chef and served in the courtyard or café – try traditional Mexican favourites such as cochinita pibil (spicy marinated meat) or ceviche.
- Dress code Leather sandals, khaki shorts and open linen shirts for Señor Smith, floor-skimming floral-print frock and a gardenia behind the ear for Señora Smith.
- Top table Have a long lunch at one of the wrought-iron tables at the café in the leafy courtyard before wandering upstairs for a mid-afternoon siesta.
- Last orders Breakfast is served from 8am to 11am; lunch is from noon to 3pm; dinner is 7pm until 10pm. The café is open from 8am to 8pm.
- Room service No room service but visit Café de Los Frailes for coffee, pastries and snacks between meals.
Buy a bottle of wine at nearby dining den Taberna de los Frailes – located above the city's oldest cenote – to sip on the private terrace under a starlit sky, in lieu of the bar.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Coqui Coqui Valladolid Calle 41/A N. 207a, Col. Sisal, Valladolid, , Yucatan, CP 97780
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Coqui Coqui Valladolid
A gift from the hotel's on-site perfumery and a botanical bath in the spa
In the know
Our favourite rooms
This is an easy decision, since there’s only one to choose from. The Perfumery Suite’s drama begins at its entrance: an open-air staircase leading to a courtyard with a private plunge pool. This is not a stay for the unfamiliar/shy, as the freestanding roll-top tub sits boldly exposed to the rest of the room. A simple bed and the gilded chandelier suspended above it are the room’s focal points, and exposed beams break up the monochrome colour scheme. Doors lead to a private terrace with an oversized sun lounger and umbrella.
Leave your cologne at home and pick up a bottle or two of the jasmine- or coconut-scented fragrances from the perfumery. Pack swimwear for a trip to the nearby cenotes, limestone pools linked by a system of underground caverns and rivers.
Sniff and spritz your way around the on-site perfumery and lab, recreating fragrances made from locally sourced essential oils (the Franciscan monks were big fans). Pick up handcrafted accessories by Hacienda Montecristo, also sold in the perfumery. Surrounded by manicured vegetation, the thatched-roof spa has two treatment tables for massages à deux and two outdoor roll-top tubs for side-by-side unwinding. Try the skin-softening two-hour coconut and papaya body scrub, followed by a 90-minute stress-melting holistic massage.