Style Spa-spangled manor
Setting New Forest pony-country
It’s been voted ‘Best Hotel in the British Isles’ and the traditional British restaurant has garnered numerous awards, but don’t let that sway you – Chewton Glen has to be experienced personally to be enjoyed properly. With a staff-to-guest ratio of two-to-one, it’s impossible not to feel like pampered royalty at this world-renowned boutique hotel in Hampshire. Combining the old-school elegance of the Jeeves & Wooster era with a style-sharp modern sensibility, this hotel, spa, restaurant and country club is as seductive as it is suave.
Need to know
- Rooms 70, including 35 suites.
Double rooms from AU$363.52 (£233), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (£233) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Continental breakfast costs £20 a person.
- Facilities Nine-hole golf course, indoor and outdoor tennis courts, croquet lawn, mountain bike loan, jogging tracks, spa, gym, DVD/CD library. In-room amenities: flatscreen TV, B&O sound system, DVD/video player, iPod dock, minibar, free WiFi throughout.
- Poolside With heated pools indoors and out, as well as Europe’s largest hydrotherapy pool in the spa, Chewton Glen is ideal for aquatic lounging. The large ozone-treated indoor pool, with its soft-blue sky-painted ceiling, offers great views of the gardens.
- Check-out 12 noon. Later check-out can be arranged, subject to availability and a charge.
- Children Chewton Glen welcomes all ages. Babysitting can be arranged and there’s a Playstation and a cupboard of games. More...
- Also Pets are not allowed, but the hotel is happy to sort out board at reputable kennels nearby. Call in advance if you intend to arrive via helicopter – there's only room for three on the helipad.
Food and drink at Chewton Glen
Chewton's gorgeously grown-up five-roomed gastrodome (aka Vetiver) has a cosmopolitan menu serving guests whatever, whenever; whether you fancy a casual brunch or five-course, wine-matched tasting menu, it's all seasonally themed and skilfully produced by chef Andrew du Bourg and his brigade.
- Dress code Gents in jackets; ladies in lace.
- Top table A private dining table in the Wine Room; a lime-green horseshoe banquette in Oak End; or a window seat in the Summer House conservatory, so you can marvel at the extensive manicured gardens and revel in a New Forest sunset.
- Last orders Last orders in Vetiver are 10pm. The bar offers food, drink and good cheer until there’s no one left to enjoy them.
- Room service Meals, snacks and drinks are available to enjoy in-room 24 hours a day.
A burgundy-walled, leather-armchaired, gentleman’s club of a hidey-hole, the hotel’s bar is the definitive brandy-and-cigars den (except it’s non-smoking these days; just the brandy, then).
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Chewton Glen New Forest, Hampshire BH23 5QL
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Chewton Glen
A half-bottle of champagne in your room and Continental breakfast (usually £20 a head)
Current offers at Chewton Glen
Offers at Chewton Glen
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Request a contemporary room: we love the gorgeous Masterman Ready Suite with its artful combinations of antique and contemporary furniture and the panoramic garden views from the sun terrace. Room 21 – the Poachers Suite – is a refined classic-contemporary master suite with a private study, dressing room, pretty bronze mosaic tiles in the bathroom and slick double walk-in shower, as well as a wall-mounted bathroom TV. Or, take your holiday to new heights in one of the treehouse suite: accessed by a gangplank, the circular Loft Suites seemingly float, high the forest canopy. Admire foliage-framed views of the grounds from your hot tub on the hardwood private deck. These 85–87 sq m circular suites sleep two adults and up to four children in a double bedroom and galleried bunk area. Floor-to-ceiling windows let the light and views flood in, and the carpeted bedroom, wood-burning stove and underfloor heating ensure suites stay cosy. A large, freestanding bath with forest views steals the show in the marble-floored ensuite, and daily breakfast hampers are delivered to your door. Regular shuttles can transport you the 200–400m to and from the main hotel.
Beach towels and swimwear – the sea is only a short, countryside stroll away so pack a picnic and make an afternoon of it.
As well as the hefty catalogue of activities that Chewton Glen can arrange on site, the hotel can also organise shooting, fishing and sailing jaunts.