Style Aristocratic party pad
Setting Rural West Buckland
The Manor in Somerset dates back to the 13th century, but there’s nothing aged about its approach to celebrations: there’s space for up to 24, all the necessary technological flourishes, a dramatic banquet hall for decadent dinners, a pool table, and romantic rooms to retreat to, post-party. In quieter moments (or for al fresco events), the gorgeous grounds beckon – have a picnic on the lawns or a dip in the heated outdoor pool, admire the koi pond and the wild lake, or play a game of tennis on the courts. Whatever your desire – be it a private chef and a cocktail and canapé reception, or a walking tour of the scenic countryside – the owners will make it happen.
Need to know
- Rooms 11, including two suites.
Double rooms from $6003.80 (£3,958), excluding tax at 20 per cent. The Manor is unable to accept payment by credit card.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (£3,958) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Continental breakfast (or a cooked breakfast for parties of 20-plus, on request) is included in the rates.
- Facilities Tennis courts, gardens with a wild lake, sauna, two fully equipped self-catering kitchens, lounges with flatscreen TVs and DVD players, WiFi. In rooms: bathrobes and Bulgari bath products. Some have Bose sound systems.
- Poolside The heated pool is set amid the flowering gardens and oak trees. Relax on one of the wooden day beds, which are equipped with comfy mattresses.
- Check-out 3pm. Earliest check in, 12 noon.
- Children More than welcome – up to four extra beds can be added (free) and there are a range of catering options to please even the fussiest of eaters. More...
- Also Well-behaved pets can stay free with at least 24 hours’ notice. Dog bowls can be provided. Spencer and Fiona also own a property next door that sleeps up to 10, so any overspill from house parties or wedding celebrations can sleep there.
Food and drink at The Manor
No restaurant as such: guests can make the most of the Aga and cook their own meals; alternatively, owners Spencer and Fiona offer a mind-boggling array of catering options and menus, including a champagne reception with canapés, welcome suppers, barbecues, a shooting menu and mediaeval-style banquets. Breakfast, lunch and dinner can all be pre-booked: just let the owners know what you want. The banquet hall is the heart of the house, and the perfect setting for an extravagant dinner party. Oak-panelled walls, original beams and a wood-burning stove create a dramatic, historic feel. This room seats 24, and looks stunning when lit with candles.
- Dress code Slippers by morning; slinky by night.
- Top table The one in the grand banquet hall, of course.
- Room service None, but just arrange any extras before arrival.
There's no bar as such, but you can help yourself to the array of spirits in the Gun Room (and leave the combustibles alone, afterwards).
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
The Manor Gerbestone Lane, West Bucklans, Wellington, Somerset TA21 9PJ
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at The Manor
A luxurious hamper stocked with local goodies. Smith members can request early check-in or late check-out (subject to availability)
Current offers at The Manor
Offers at The Manor
In the know
Our favourite rooms
The Duke of Wellington suite has a wooden floor, a wooden four-poster and an ensuite bathroom with a tub fit for two. Linens are snowy white, furnishings are neutral, and the floors and furniture are glossy wood. Lord Spencer’s Suite is decorated in bold ruby-red, with beamed walls and ceilings, and a vast four-poster with a wooden frame and white curtains. Charles’ Room is bright and airy, with a double bed, wooden floor and views of the grounds from the bay windows.
This is a party house – bring cocktail attire and some fancy dress to set the mood.