Style Rustic deluxe
Setting Green groves of Greve in Chianti
Scottish restaurateurs Catherine and David Gardner took three years to furbish and restore Villa Bordoni, a 10-roomed villa in the rolling countryside. They have successfully filled a glaring boutique-hotel gap in a beloved holiday region. They have been careful not to create a self-conscious design hotel, offering instead a tasteful country-house hotel with hi-tech trim that's child-friendly, too.
Need to know
- Rooms 10, including five suites.
Double rooms from $323.35 (€250), excluding tax at 10 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional local city tax of €2.50 per person per night on check-out.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€250) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include breakfast. Half-board is available for an extra €45 a day.
- Facilities LCD TVs, DVD and CD players, wireless internet; WiFi in public areas; library of books and magazines; open-air fitness pavilion.
- Poolside The saltwater pool is set in terraced olive groves, with views over the Chianti hills from the gazebos.
- Check-out 11am, but may be flexible.
- Children Welcome. There is no charge for under-sevens sharing with their parents. Extra beds and cots are available for €30–€50. More...
- Also The villa and its grounds are non-smoking. It's situated at the end of a lengthy unmade road, so watch your tires if you're driving.
- Hotel closed From the second week of January until 28 February.
Food and drink at Villa Bordoni
- Hotel restaurant The restaurant is the jewel in Bordoni's crown, so prepare to eat around the clock. We can't recommend Batar more (except perhaps for vegetarians); the Montrachet-alike 2001 vintage from Querciabella is liquid heaven.
- Dress code Chiantishire chic.
- Top table Outside on the patio or among the umbrella pines in the summer; next to the log fire in winter.
- Last orders Lunch 12.30–2.30pm; dinner 7.30pm–10pm; closed Mondays.
- Room service Restaurant and snack menus available until 11.30pm.
- Hotel bar There is an aperitivo hour with complimentary antipastini, 6.30–7.30pm. There is an excellent selection of Chianti Classico from regional winemakers.
Villa Bordoni Via San Cresci 31-32, Tuscany, 50022
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Villa Bordoni
A bottle of prosecco in your room
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Montefili has pale grey and crimson decor and fabulous views over the olive groves and the valley.
An appetite, and your swimsuit and gym kit to make amends.
There are hill-walking trails and mountain bikes for the active. Horse riding can be arranged, as can cookery lessons and wine-tasting; there's a golf course nearby, too.
From the Guestbook…
Top tip: enjoy the facilities and relax. This is an idyllic country retreat and you will have all your needs catered for. Wonderful breakfasts, light lunches and superb dinners. If...more