Style Art-filled eco beach pad
Setting Mawgan Porth’s sandy bay
Luxurious but laid-back, The Scarlet hotel has heart; it’s eco-friendly through and through and equally true to its roots; decorated with paintings by local artists. Lashings of glass maximise this Cornwall hotel’s cliff-top setting and sea-and-sand views, keeping the outdoors in, and every room comes with its own balcony or outdoor ‘pod’.
Need to know
- Rooms 37.
Double rooms from $309.67 (£204), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (£204) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates usually include breakfast. Please note: the Scarlet does not accept group bookings of more than three rooms at a time.
- Facilities Gardens, terrace with sea views, spa (booking essential) and library with DVDs. In rooms: flatscreen TV, CD/DVD player, WiFi (bit patchy) free bottled water and Cornwall Soap Box products.
- Poolside There’s a natural swimming pool outdoors and log-fired hot tubs on the cliff side.
- Check-out 10am (or 11am, if there's availability); check-in, from 2pm.
- Children This is a couples-only hideaway.
- Also Perhaps leave the mobile switched off – signal is next to non-existent in these parts. Dogs are welcome in certain rooms for £15 a night; the hotel provides food and water bowls, towels and treats.
Food and drink at The Scarlet
- Hotel restaurant The Scarlet Restaurant champions local produce, with a menu that changes according to the flavours of the month. Dishes include pan-fried John Dory with wild garlic, cockle and parsley sauce, and St Ives beef with caramelised shallots, salsa verde and griddled polenta. Sweet tooths should save room for pudding – try the cider jelly with tarte tatin and blackberry sorbet. The open-plan, high-ceilinged space is splashed with scarlet hues, including low-hanging red felt lampshades.
- Dress code Mermaid- and merman-chic: an aqua-hued shirt or dress, and Mrs Smith should pile on the pearls or coral.
- Top table Sit by a window and admire the wild waters.
- Last orders Breakfast is served up from 8am until 10.30am; lunch is noon until 2pm, and guests are seated for dinner between 7pm and 9.30pm.
- Room service The 24-hour room service features light snacks, salads and sandwiches.
- Hotel bar Perched above the main restaurant area, Scarlet Bar has cosy banquette seating and the obligatory sea views. If you settle in during pre-dinner cocktails, stay here for your meal.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
The Scarlet Tredragon Road, Mawgan Porth, Cornwall TR8 4DQ
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at The Scarlet
A session in one of the Atlantic-facing hot tubs
Offers at The Scarlet
In the know
Our favourite rooms
The Just Right rooms are exactly that: peaceful and calm, with unobstructed sea views. Unique rooms have spiral staircases leading up to relaxing ‘pods’, with views over the sea-thrift-covered roof and out to sea.
Birkenstocks, Annie Greenabelle and howies threads, cotton beach bags and wooden jewellery.
Ruby-red log-fired hot tubs stud the cliffside, overlooking the sea. Book in for your bubbles; they’re mighty popular.