The Modern Honolulu
Style A bit of all white
Setting Buzzy Waikiki Beach
The Modern Honolulu hotel masters Hawaiian hipness: as well as the most in-demand restaurant in town, it flaunts four bars, a nightclub and its own tropical garden.
Need to know
- Rooms 353 rooms, including 31 suites.
Double rooms from $309.00, excluding tax at 13.96 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($309) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates exclude à la carte breakfast (from US$12).
- Facilities Spa, nightclub, gym and free WiFi throughout. In rooms, flatscreen TV, iPod dock, iPad and bath products by Lather.
- Poolside The marina-facing Sunrise Pool is surrounded by teak decking and sunloungers, with giant squashy day-beds in a tropical garden, picnic tables and a cocktail bar. The oceanfront Sunset Pool is a lantern-lit adults-only plunge with an adjacent cocktail bar.
- Check-out 12pm, but flexible for US$100. Earliest check-in, 3pm.
- Children Cots for babies are free; extra beds cost US$65 a night. A local nanny can babysit if required.
- Also Lightweight doggies (25lbs or less) can stay for US$50 a night.
Food and drink at The Modern Honolulu
Morimoto Waikiki is the island’s see-and-be-seen restaurant. Masaharu Morimoto, star of gladiatorial TV cook-off Iron Chef, heads up the team of elite sushi chefs. The Japanese menu has Western touches: at lunch, try the lobster melt sandwich with miso mayo, tomato and Swiss cheese, or the Wagyu mini burgers with pork kakuni, cabbage and Japanese mustard. The dinner menu includes tuna pizza and duck served three ways, including duck meatball soup. Inside, lime leather chairs, sleek wooden tables and suspended glass boxes keep it sharp; outside, comfy white sofas and fire pits await.
- Dress code Flash your cash – labels won’t go amiss here. Avoid citrussy shades unless you want to clash with the chairs.
- Top table The tables are packed close, so be aware that any sweet nothings will be shared with your neighbours. Chances are it’s balmy, so head outside and dine on the lanai overlooking the marina or one of the poolside bars.
- Last orders Breakfast is served between 7.30am and 10am; lunch is on offer between 11am and 2.30pm; dinner is from 5pm until 10pm Sunday to Thursday, 11pm Friday and Saturday. Lobby Bar is open till 1 am Sunday to Thursday, 3am Friday and Saturday.
- Room service The full restaurant menu is available 24 hours a day.
Five: the Sunrise Pool has a cocktail bar; adults-only Sunset Pool has 100 tonnes of sand on its home-made beach, plus its own lagoon, as well as staff who’ll wander past your hammock and spritz you with Evian if you’re looking a little sweaty; the Lobby Bar hides during the day behind the rotating bookcase in reception and only reveals its giant sofas, low lights and custom cocktails at 6pm; industrial Addiction is the hotel’s own nightclub – queues go round the block for people wanting to get past the rusty steel doors into the concrete club and listen to sets by hot international DJs; and Morimoto has its own bar.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
The Modern Honolulu 1775 Ala Moana Blvd, Waikiki Beach, Honolulu, Hawaii 96815
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at The Modern Honolulu
Tropical fruit plate and mineral water upon arrival.
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Room 911 (an Ocean Front Suite) is on the hotel’s eastern sea-facing corner, and this means two balconies: one above the pool, another looking out to sea. It’s another wonder in white, with earthy shades and a huge teak sliding door. If you’ve got it, spend it: the impressive Penthouse may come with a hefty price tag, but it’s super-sized inside and out, with a wraparound terrace, as well as panoramic Pacific views from the bedroom.
You’ll find essential Hawaiian gear (sarongs, a ukelele) in your room, but don’t forget binoculars for whale-watching, as well as heels and look-at-me clothes for dressing up after dark.
The spa has four treatment rooms, and separate mani-pedi stations. Everything is natural and neutral, including the plant-based Éminence Organic Skin Care products. Book in and have a muscle-calming Hawaiian Lomi Lomi massage, which simulates the movement of ocean waves.
From the Guestbook…
The Modern is sublime - wonderful staff, fabulous food, beautifully appointed rooms, very stylish decor, great ambience and is an absolute treat to retreat to from the pace of Waik...more