The Islington Hotel
Style Hip Regency guesthouse
Setting Herb-scented ridge-top gardens
A grand old Regency house with a sophisticated glass, marble and sandstone facelift, The Islington Hotel sits genteely above Tasmania's capital Hobart with views of Mount Wellington. With a gorgeous garden and more art and artefacts – Asian and contemporary Australian – than you can shake a Sotheby’s catalogue at, it’s a small luxury hotel with the feel of an expansive but intimate private home.
Need to know
- Rooms 11, including five rooms in the original 1847 house and six garden rooms in the modern extension.
Double rooms from $330.27 (AU$336), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (AU$336) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Select rates include breakfast and minibar soft drinks.
- Facilities Library, music room, outdoor pavilion with open fire and barbecue, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: iPad, flatscreen TV, in-house movie and cable channels, DVD/CD player with library, iPod dock, minibar, Basic Earth Botanicals and Beauty & the Bees toiletries.
- Check-out 10am. Earliest check-in, 2pm, but both are flexible subject to availability.
- Also This is more of a couple’s retreat – no under-16s allowed. Spend some languid downtime in the Andrew Pfeiffer-designed gardens, shaded by the 100-year-old willow.
Food and drink at The Islington Hotel
- Hotel restaurant The main dining area and fireside snug are housed in a two-storey sandstone conservatory with a chequered black-and-white marble floor and huge, fern-filled urns. The Islington’s talented chef cooks up a delicate but flavour-packed storm, with a mix of Mod Oz and European influences. Local, seasonal produce reigns – Cressy lamb, Highland wild rabbit and fresh-from-the-water fish and oysters – to be paired with a selection of superbly swillable wines.
- Dress code Understated but well-pressed and designer.
- Top table Nab the corner table overlooking the reflective infinity pond with its ghost-white Murano glass stalagmites, or ask for a private dinner at the grand colonial table in the library.
- Last orders Dinner is served from 7pm till 10pm, Wednesday to Saturday.
- Room service You can order dishes from the main menu to enjoy in your room during breakfast and dinner hours, and light snacks such as cheeses and soups are available at other times. Picnics can be arranged in summer.
An extensive honour bar, featuring all-Tasmanian wines, beers and local gin, whiskey and vodka, is available for guests whenever they fancy a tipple. The Asian-themed and darkly lush rose-hued drawing room is a soothing place for a late-night glass of tawny port, or house-speciality martini.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
The Islington Hotel 321 Davey Street, Hobart, Australia 7000
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at The Islington Hotel
A bottle of Islington-label wine
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Tucked away at the back of the new extension, smart and simple ground-floor Garden Rooms 6 and 7 have the best views, but stay in the old house to feel cocooned and connected – Regency Room 3, the Wellington Room, named after the mountain it overlooks, is generous, elegant and airy. The Attic Room is small and tastefully cluttered with views through its original casement window to the conservatory.
Patterned pashminas for elegant dinners, reading glasses for close-up ogling of the fabulous art collection.
Poke around in the writing desk in your room and you should find a great guided Rivulet walk – with obligatory stop at local gourmet deli and cafe, Raw – ready to slip round your neck and under your Barber. If you fancy less exertion, beauty and massage treatments can be ordered in your room.