The Drawing Room
Style Dainty gastro-boutique
Setting The rolling fields of Powys
In the two tiny sage-green front rooms of The Drawing Room, a crackling fire, traditional antiques and porcelain trinkets lend an elegant French atmosphere to this Welsh gem. A brass bedpan stuffed with new slippers suggests this is a place intended to relax. And the food is out of this world at this husband-and-wife-run establishment: she makes the pastries, breads and starters; he tends to the main courses. The bedrooms are très Elle Deco: Venetian glass, stylish fabrics, contemporary chintz wallpaper, roll-top baths.
Need to know
- Rooms Three doubles.
Double rooms from $125.78 (£83), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (£83) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include breakfast. Please note: rooms are only available to guests dining at the Drawing Room.
- Facilities In rooms: flatscreen TV, CD/DVD player, Laura Ashley beds, Penhaligons toiletries.
- Check-out 11am; earliest check-in, 4pm. Let the Drawing Room know your arrival time and dining time in advance. The house is not available to guests between noon and 4pm.
- Children No children under 12.
- Also Non-smoking throughout.
Food and drink at The Drawing Room
Award-winning modern British cooking using Welsh produce – own-cured salmon with lemon and dill, rump of Welsh lamb with gratin potatoes – care of chef Colin Dawson. Breakfast includes fresh fruit, home-made muesli, scrambled egg with cured salmon and caviar, duck egg with wild mushrooms, and the full Welsh.
- Last orders Breakfast is served 8.30am-9.30am; you can dine 7pm–8.30pm. Dinner must be booked in advance, and you must be dining in-house every night of your stay..
The Drawing Room Cwmbach, Newbridge-on-Wye, Builth Wells, Wales, LD2 3RT
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at The Drawing Room
Afternoon tea with bara brith
Current offers at The Drawing Room
Offers at The Drawing Room
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Three rooms all individually designed; we like Oliver, probably the sexiest thanks to a double bath with views of the countryside. Phoebe only has a shower, and Otis has Venetian glass furniture and a slipper bath.
Walking boots; a good book to curl up with by the fire; elasticated waistband as you’re bound to overeat.
They have a lovely private dining area so it's popular with triple-daters, who book all three bedrooms and then enjoy their own private dinner party.