The Chedi Chiang Mai
Style Contemporary meets colonial
Setting Banks of the Mae Ping
Just a hop from the Night Bazaar, sleekly stylish The Chedi Chiang Mai hotel is one for shopping fiends, as well as modern design fans. High, bamboo-clad walls hide a seductive luxury resort, with river-view rooms and pool, a fabulous spa and fine dining in the former British consulate-turned-restaurant.
Need to know
- Rooms 84, including 32 suites.
Double rooms from $179.77 (THB5,550), excluding tax at 18.5 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (THB5,550) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Some rates include breakfast. Chedi Club Suite guests enjoy Club benefits: return airport transfers, private Club Lounge or in-room check-in, daily paper and fruit, Club Lounge champagne breakfast, evening cocktails and canapés, free minibar and laundry.
- Facilities Spa, gym, bikes, CD/DVD library, concierge, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, CD/DVD player, iPod dock, free broadband, minibar and local Soap-n-Scent toiletries. The Chedi Club Suites also have coffee machines.
- Poolside It's all about riverfront views at the 34-metre-long, streamlined outdoor pool, a stroll from the water's edge. Flanked by chargoal-grey modern loungers, white sun umbrellas, lily ponds and manicured reeds, it's a chill-out oasis.
- Check-out 12pm, or until 4pm for a half-day rate. Check-in 2pm, or earlier subject to availability.
- Children Welcome: baby cots are free and extra beds for older children can be supplied for THB3,500. Babysitting with staff is available with 24-hours notice for THB400 an hour, plus a THB100 charge after 10pm. More...
- Also Smoking is allowed in the Lobby Lounge and Terrace Bar & Cigar Lounge only. Pets are not permitted.
Food and drink at The Chedi Chiang Mai
Occupying a restored colonial British Consulate building, the second-floor Restaurant and its tree-shaded deck bring a smart update to the hotel's heritage heart. Australian chef Chris Patzold (formerly of Ku De Ta, Bali) whips up Thai, Indian, Korean and global dishes including some intriguing east-west fusions. Sink into a cane seat on the veranda for afternoon high tea, an English spread with Asian twists (scones with oolong green tea, anyone?) Delicious watermelon sorbets are the perfect cool-me-down. Tapas are served from 6pm on the riverside terrace.
- Dress code Simple yet sophisticated. The Chedi's cool clash of contemporary and colonial design invites edgy, vintage or niche label threads.
- Top table Flaunting panoramic Mae Ping River views, the balmy balcony of the second-floor Terrace Bar & Cigar Lounge is hard to beat. Day-beds beckon for a champagne session. Come evening, the poolside lawn below is lit by torches.
- Last orders Dinner at the Restaurant is served from 6pm to 10.30pm; the bar keeps ticking over from 5pm until 1am.
- Room service In-room dining is available 24 hours a day, with a menu of treats spanning pad thai, tandoori lamb, tapas and juicy burgers. You can also order breakfast in bed, anything off the restaurant menu, children's meals and drinks.
Perfect for pre-dinner drinks, the Bar, on the ground floor of the original colonial building, works a romantic retro look, with lashings of dark wood, earth tones and comfy high stools. It mixes a fine mojito should you fancy a Cuban moment. Indulge those Havana fantasies further in the Terrace Bar & Cigar Lounge, adjoining the second-floor Restaurant, where you can enjoy a tipple or puff of the good stuff out on the airy balcony. You can also order lime sodas or cocktails in the chic Lobby Lounge overlooking a calming pool.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
The Chedi Chiang Mai 123 Charoen Prathet Road T.Changklan, A Muang, Chiang Mai, Thailand, 50100
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at The Chedi Chiang Mai
One afternoon tea for two
Current offers at The Chedi Chiang Mai
Offers at The Chedi Chiang Mai
In the know
Our favourite rooms
We'd be content in any of the chic, wood-clad Deluxe Rooms, which offer a private courtyard entrance, king-size bed, spacious red-tiled bathroom with tub and rainshower, and lovely balcony with double day-bed (floor-to-ceiling glass windows make the most of those river and garden vistas). If you want twice the space, book a Chedi Club Suite, which boasts a larger open-plan bathroom, an indoor day-bed and dining zone, and separate changing area. Aim high for the best views.
Bring an extra fold-away bag for bearing home all your treasures from the Night Bazaar. If you're planning on going elephant trekking in the nearby jungle, shorts or trousers will preserve your modesty.
Teak doors lead into the minimalist Spa, where the signature treatment is the Chedi Jade massage, a dynamic deep-muscle kneeding by two therapists working in sync. Afterwards, chill out on the rooftop deck. Yoga devotees can get their fix here, too.