Style Little bit of Britain
Setting Hidden in West Hollywood
Once upon a time, The Charlie in West Hollywood was Charlie Chaplin’s home, with an array of tiny bungalows occupied by his up-and-coming actor friends. Over the years, Marilyn Monroe, Marlene Dietrich, Bette Davis and Clark Gable were invited to bed down. The Charlie’s star didn’t fade in the golden age: today, there’s a good chance incognito celebrities are hiding behind the bougainvillea in 1920s-era cottages named after their most famous silver-screen occupants.
Need to know
- Rooms 13 standalone cottages.
Double rooms from $200.00, excluding tax at 14 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($200) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details There is no food served at The Charlie.
- Facilities Gardens, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen HDTVs, fully equipped kitchen, washer and dryer, Joseph Abboud toiletries.
- Check-out 12 noon, but flexible, subject to availability, for $25 each additional hour. Earliest check-in, 3pm.
- Children Children of all ages are welcome at the Charlie. Baby cots are available free; extra beds are $25 a night.
- Also No smoking indoors, but you can light up in the gardens and on the patios. Dogs are welcome; a $100 non-refundable deposit is payable for your pooch to bed down in your cottage.
Food and drink at The Charlie
No restaurant, though guests who call ahead with a grocery list can have the cottage kitchen fully stocked before arrival. You’ve a full kitchen to chef it up in, and a farmers’ market a few blocks down Fairfax.
- Dress code Silk pajamas.
- Top table Your private patio is the ideal spot for snacks and breakfast.
None, but you’ve a refrigerator to stock, and a handful of smart watering holes in the neighbourhood.
The Charlie 819 North Sweetzer Avenue, West Hollywood, CA 90069
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at The Charlie
Fresh bowl of fruit on arrival.
In the know
Our favourite rooms
The Marilyn, once home to Monroe herself, is the ideal place to channel your inner bombshell, with pictures of the buxom blonde throughout the cottage. The modern kitchen opens onto a private wraparound patio, and the upstairs bedroom overlooks the bougainvillea-laced gardens. The Masha is the largest one-bedroom cottage, and its granite bar with red leather stools makes a glamorous spot for an evening cocktail. The living room has a cosy window seat for reading scripts.
Oversized starlet-style sunglasses for alfresco lunches; reusable tote bags for visits to the nearby Original Farmers Market; map of historic stars’ homes to see who else has lived nearby over the years.
The Charlie’s grounds are a botanist-delighting collection of native plants and bright flowers. The lushly landscaped gardens are home to bougainvillea, roses, hibiscuses and palms that keep your morning coffee private from wandering eyes.