Style Tranquil Victorian homestead
Setting Foothills of the Langeberg Mountains
Among the neat trees and quiet streets of historic Swellendam, you'll find the pretty Victorian facade of Schoone Oordt country house, a boutique bed and breakfast set among clipped lawns, fountains and rose gardens on the doorstep of the Garden Route. Stay here en route to Plett, or escape the bustle of Cape Town for a few days' R 'n' R in the idyllic Western Cape countryside…
Need to know
- Rooms Nine suites and a Family Cottage.
Double rooms from $115.18 (ZAR1,100).
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (ZAR1,100) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include taxes, home-cooked breakfast, tea, coffee and cake, and a drink and snacks on arrival.
- Facilities Lovely gardens, swimming pool, conservatory, free WiFi in the main house. In rooms, flatscreen satellite TV, DVD player, embroidered bedlinen, bathrobes, slippers, hairdryer, tea/coffee tray. Bathrooms have underfloor heating and ‘Yum’ toiletries by
- Poolside The outdoor saltwater swimming pool is big enough for a lung-busting swim or lingering float, with deckchairs and parasols for poolside lounging.
- Check-out 11am (but flexible, depending on arrivals). Check-in, from 2pm.
- Children Schoone Oordt isn’t ideal for kids – however, your little ones are more than welcome. Cots and extra beds are available, babysitting can be arranged for around SAR40 an hour. A steriliser, pram and changing mat can be made available with notice.
- Also Pampering treatments such as reflexology can be arranged at Schoone Oordt – ask for details in advance if you’d like to book something.
- Hotel closed Until 1 August 2009.
Food and drink at Schoone Oordt
Breakfast is treated seriously here: fresh herbs, vegetables and fruit are plucked from the garden, and local farm produce fills any gaps. In winter, try dishes from the voorsmakie (tasting menu) at Chef Wander's Table. As you’d expect, the wines are also wonderful, sourced from the celebrated regions of Robertson and Hermanus.
- Dress code Totally relaxed.
- Top table Your private patio is the perfect place for a sundowner.
- Last orders Depends on when the last guest retires for the evening…
- Room service None, but there is a tea/coffee tray in your bedroom with home-made biscuits for snacking, and drinks can be served on your patio.
There’s a little lounge/chill-out room with a wide-screen plasma TV and bar for unwinding in the evenings.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Schoone Oordt 1 Swellengrebel Street, Swellendam, Western Cape, 6740
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Schoone Oordt
A picnic basket for two to take to the nature reserve or a bottle of sparkling wine
Current offers at Schoone Oordt
Offers at Schoone Oordt
In the know
Our favourite rooms
The luxury suites are set away from the main building in specially built cabins; they all have similar decor, with pale walls and dark furniture, open fires, private patios and Victorian-style claw-foot bathtubs. Tall Smiths will enjoy the extra-length beds. The Honeymoon Suite, in a separate cottage on the edge of the forest, has a handsomely carved wooden four poster and a giant bathroom, as well as a sitting room and large hearth. There’s no TV in the honeymoon suite but we’re sure you can find something better to do…
Comfy shoes, for the spectacular walks on your doorstep; binoculars, for bird- and beast-spotting; bikinis, for swimming and sunbathing; books, for reading on the patio or by the fire.
The property is non-smoking, but you may smoke outside on your patio if you wish. Pets unfortunately cannot be accommodated (the owners already have two dogs and a cat!).
From the Guestbook…
Fabulous hotel. Perfect. From the great breakfast to luxurious bedding, nothing is too much trouble. Impressive attention to detail, even down to yummy home-made biscuits in the ro...more