Herdade da Malhadinha Nova
Style Wine and wicker
Setting Bucolic Beja
We’d come to Herdade da Malhadinha Nova for its stellar chef. And working winery. And golden Alentejo scenery. Oh, and the glittering infinity pool, set in green, green gardens. Did we mention the spoil-you-rotten spa?
Need to know
- Rooms 10, including three suites.
Double rooms from $305.00 (€236), excluding tax at 6 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€236) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include Continental breakfast, which is served sociably around one table in the bar.
- Facilities Spa, gardens, library, selection of CDs and DVDs, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: Dux bed, flatscreen TV, iPod dock, Bulgari bath products.
- Poolside There's an infinity pool set in the vineyards, with dark wooden decking and vivid blue tiles.
- Check-out Between 7am and 12 noon. Earliest check-in, midday.
- Children This hotel is better suited to couples - leave the children at home!
- Also Guests get free bike hire, a wine tour and a tasting, to help them settle in.
- Hotel closed 12 December 2011 to 16 February 2012.
Food and drink at Herdade da Malhadinha Nova
This is the first building guests come to (rooms are set further back, in the thick of the vineyards and cattle fields). The set-up hints at food’s importance here – the chef, Joachim Koerper, has a Michelin star, and his take on typical Alentejo fare – chickpea stew, giblets, game, and delicious chocolate tart – lures in locals too. Decor-wise, the restaurant has a split personality: one half feels rustic, with wooden furniture and a fireplace, the other side is modern, with glass walls and white and emerald wicker chairs.
- Dress code Relaxed rustic.
- Top table Stake out seats clustered around the glass walled-corner, for the best vineyard views.
- Last orders Last suppers are dished up around 10pm; corks are popped until midnight.
- Room service Items from the restaurant menu can be ordered from 8am until 10pm.
There is a little drinking area in the main hotel building with relaxed lounge music and glittering bottles, where wine tastings are conducted and breakfast is served.
Herdade da Malhadinha Nova Albernoa, Beja, 7800-601
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Herdade da Malhadinha Nova
10 per cent off in the spa and restaurant, and a jar of home-made jam to take home
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Flower has zingy lime-green styling; it’s also the only room that has direct access to the pool. Families will appreciate the extra leg-room offered by the Junior Suite.
Wellington boots for stomping through the vineyards and olive groves; a nail brush to clean your toes post-grape-squashing; riding boots and jodhpurs for exploring the countryside on horseback.
Relax in the sleek spa: have a Turkish bath, get bubbly in the Jacuzzi, and indulge in a massage – there are wine- and olive oil-based Thalgo treatments.