Etnia Pousada and Boutique
Style Jungle gem
Setting Hipsters’ hang-out Trancoso
Bahia’s peaceful fishing village of Trancoso’s been a choice destination for wanderlust-struck creative types since the Seventies, but Etnia Pousada and Boutique ups the luxe a notch, offering eight woodland bungalows each styled with a different ethnic influence. In the hands of anyone other than the fashionista/design guru owners, it could all slip into kitsch, but smart, sensitive style prevails – together with an air of absolute serenity and back-to-nature bliss.
Need to know
- Rooms Eight bungalows.
Double rooms from $205.90 (BRL449), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (BRL449) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include breakfast.
- Facilities Massage treatments, personal trainer, library, furniture and antiques boutique, free WiFi in all rooms. In rooms: TV, minibar.
- Poolside Occupying a clearing in the lush flora beside the open-air restaurant/chill-out area, Etnia’s pool is surrounded by cosy sun chairs.
- Check-out Midday, although both check-in and check-out are flexible, depending on availability.
- Children Although extra beds can be arranged (at 30 per cent of the room rate for a third person; 40 per cent for a fourth), the hotel is a decidedly grown-up playground.
- Also Three-night minimum stay. Rates increase for the Christmas and New Year periods.
Food and drink at Etnia Pousada and Boutique
The freshest fish, classic Mediterranean-fusion creations and chicken dishes dominate the lunch menu at Etnia’s open-air poolside restaurant. In the evening, take your pick of the restaurants in Trancoso’s Quadrado (main square), or head to sister hotel Etnia Clube de Mar, which has a beachfront restaurant that is open from breakfast through dinner, and can charge meals to the room.
- Dress code Brazilian boho-chic.
- Top table Sit out in the breeze on the decking around the pool.
- Last orders Etnia only offers (excellent) breakfast and lunch, but snacks are available until 10pm.
- Room service The kitchen can prepare light meals and nibbles to be delivered to your bungalow throughout the day.
A selection of drinks, including three locally made wines, is available from the restaurant area, but you’re more likely to make the two-minute stroll into Trancoso, which has plenty of tempting watering holes.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Etnia Pousada and Boutique Av Principal s/n, Trancoso, Bahia, 45418-000
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Etnia Pousada and Boutique
A bottle of champagne on arrival
Current offers at Etnia Pousada and Boutique
Offers at Etnia Pousada and Boutique
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Etnia’s bungalows are dotted around the woodland and linked by paved pathways, so each offers plenty of privacy. They’re all styled according to a different geographic theme, with spacious Gipsy decorated with a Romanyish blue and red palette and including an endearingly kitsch Madonna statuette among its ornaments. Goa, by contrast, offers a stylised slice of hippy India, and Trancoso evokes the local village, with simple murals of rural buildings and a wooden four-poster. A smaller bungalow, Kyoto conjures Japanese minimalism in red and white and unlike the others, features a futon bed.
Insect repellent never goes amiss in these tropical climes, but otherwise just make sure you’ve a stock of holiday reading to skim through, some Haiavanas to flip-flop around in, and a mind for some serious relaxation.
A trained masseur is on hand to soothe your joints with a Watsu massage (water therapy), and the hotel’s own personal trainer runs free Aqua gym sessions three days a week.