Style All white now
Setting Playa’s party central
People don’t come to Deseo to get away from it all, they come to be in the thick of the action. Slick, minimalist, and almost all-white in design, the hotel is one of Playa del Carmen’s top night-time attractions, with a poolside lounge bar that mixes some of the best drinks – and tracks – in town. Although perfect for lazy poolside sun-soaking during the day, at night the hotel assumes a mantle of clubland sophistication, making it one of the most trendy, vibrant boutique hotels in Mexico.
Need to know
- Rooms 15, including three suites.
Double rooms from $135.00, excluding tax at 14 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($135) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include breakfast.
- Facilities Library, massage room, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: sound system, minibar, Kiehl’s toiletries.
- Poolside The hotel’s pool area doubles as a club lounge at night, with huge sky-blue day-beds to sprawl on and billowy cotton canopies offering respite from the relentless sun.
- Check-out 1pm, although later check-out may be available on request.
- Children Deseo is definitely for grown-ups: no under-18s allowed.
- Also Pets stay free, but there’s no specific canine catering.
Food and drink at Deseo
- Hotel restaurant There’s no restaurant, but you’ll find a self-service breakfast bar beside the pool, offering fruit, yoghurt and cereals. The bar itself serves a selection of Modern tapas until the early hours. Talking of tapas, the Glass Bar, on Calle 12 in Playa del Carmen (+52 984 803 1676) is a glamorous spot for people watching, with its floor-to-ceiling windows. The Italian dishes (past treats include scallops in parma ham crust and lentils, and cocoa-stuffed ravioli with sausage and black truffle) and tapas are as seductive as the wine selection.
- Dress code Bronzed bikini-chic.
- Top table Grab a day-bed by the pool and enjoy a lingering, loungey breakfast.
- Last orders Tapas is available until 1am, when the bar closes.
- Hotel bar Deseo’s pool-deck bar is by day the perfect place to nurse a hangover, and by night the perfect place to ensure you get one. Attracting a young and energetic crowd of Playa party animals, it mixes fantastic cocktails and hip dance tunes.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Deseo 12 Avenida y Calle, Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, Riviera Maya, q. roo Mexico, 77710
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Deseo
A bottle of wine and, if you stay three nights, a fourth night half-price (excludes Friday and Saturday)
In the know
Our favourite rooms
The five balcony rooms each have hammocks for lounging in while you soak up the inimitable Playa atmosphere, and rooms 7 and 15 boast the best views of the town. Suites have big bath tubs and day-beds by the window, but whichever room you choose, bear in mind they’re all situated around the bar and the sound of midnight oil-burners does permeate.
If you’re not a diehard partygoer, earplugs are essential – although the Deseo DJ’s decks die down at 1am, the club nearby keeps kicking until dawn. You’ll find a beach bag, sarong, sunhat and flip-flops in your room – all available to buy.
Although Deseo’s not on the beach, you can sun yourself on the Caribbean sands with free access to a nearby beach club.