Baudon de Mauny
Style Château in the city
Setting Old Montpellier’s narrow streets
This centuries-old townhouse in the heart of Montpellier somehow condenses the palatial dimensions of a country château into a five-bedroom city-centre boutique hotel. Spread over two floors, Baudon de Mauny's sprawling bedrooms couple period features and ornate 18th-century plasterwork with Cole & Son wallpapers, swish modern furniture and a cutting-edge sense of style.
Need to know
- Rooms Eight, including two suites.
Double rooms from $223.44 (€168), excluding tax at 7 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional local city tax of €1.00 per person per night on check-out.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€168) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast, €15.
- Facilities Library, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, DVD, iPod dock, bottled water. Note the Gypserie does not have a TV in the room, but one is available to borrow.
- Check-out 12 noon, but flexible, depending on bookings. Check-in is between 4pm and 8pm, unless with prior arrangement.
- Children Welcome in ground-floor suites Les Papillons and Les Pavôts. Babies can stay free in cots; extra beds are €40 for children up to 15. Babysitting can be arranged a week in advance for €15 an hour.
- Also Non-smoking throughout. Two-night minimum stay (one-night stays are possible, but incur an extra €50 charge).
Food and drink at Baudon de Mauny
There’s no restaurant, but group dining (for a minimum of six) can be arranged at weekends: Provençal or French, according to your whim.
- Dress code Comfortable cashmere loungewear, in which to sprawl, wineglass in hand.
- Top table In the main room, the red sofas in front of the stone fireplace are ideal for savouring an aperitif.
- Room service An honesty bar in the main lounge is as near as Baudon de Mauny gets to room service.
Soft drinks are provided free, and staff will serve wine and champagne on request.
Baudon de Mauny 1 rue de la Carbonnerie, 34000 Montpellier
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Baudon de Mauny
A box of locally made chocolates; guests staying two nights or more will receive a bottle of regional wine instead
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Junior suite Les Gypseries has a mammoth-tubbed bathroom, floor-to-ceiling windows and walk-in wardrobe; a hand-carved bucolic scene and faux-fur bedspread may sound rustic, but it’s all swag-free and minimal. The two suites on the ground floor, Les Papillons and Les Pavôts, are ideal for long stays or family visits, since they share a full kitchen. Look out for Cole & Son wallpaper that inspired the rooms’ names, for example: the flamingoes in superior double Les Flamants Roses.
Some kind of flagstone-friendly footwear – flip-flops in summer, or slippers in winter.
Built in 1777 and named after its first owner, Baudon de Mauny has been in the same family for seven generations.