Style Luxe lakeside lodges
Setting Lush Queenstown hillside
Fancy waking up in bed with a knock-out view of New Zealand wilderness? Set on a steep hillside two miles west of Queenstown, luxury boutique hotel Azur Lodge and its nine contemporary private villas command stunning, uninterrupted vistas of Lake Wakatipu, the majestic Remarkables range and Cecil and Walter Peaks. The freestanding stone and silver beechwood villas make the most of this alpine panorama with floor-to-ceiling windows and glass doors that open onto a spacious deck – and a spa bath designed to make you feel like you're bathing outdoors.
Need to know
- Rooms Nine villas.
Double rooms from $839.55 (NZD1,050), excluding tax at 15 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (NZD1,050) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include airport and town transfers, breakfast, minibar drinks, afternoon tea, apéritifs and canapés.
- Facilities Library, Jacuzzi. In rooms: minibar, LCD TV, Denon DVD/CD player, iPod dock, free WiFi, Linden Leaves toiletries, private decks.
- Poolside There's no pool at Azur, but gardens overlook nearby Lake Wakatipu – ideal for a dip.
- Check-out 11am, or a bit later for a fee. Check-in, 2pm.
- Children Baby cots are free. They can split double beds into twins or provide extra beds for NZ$70 plus tax. High chairs, toys, microwaves and patio safety features are also on tap, as is babysitting at NZ$20 an hour. More...
- Also On arrival at Azur you’re welcomed with a glass of wine, beer or a soft drink on the house – and a run-through of Queenstown’s highlights.
Food and drink at Azur Lodge
Azur Lodge doesn’t have a restaurant but it does provide breakfast, afternoon tea and evening drinks and canapés. In-room dining can be arranged (eat out on the deck for sublime views) or the concierge can book you into the best local restaurants.
- Dress code A high-performance fleece for that ‘mountain climber at rest’ look.
- Top table Take tea or early evening drinks and canapés in the popular guest lounge or its adjacent patio for fab views.
- Last orders Breakfast is served from 7am to mid-afternoon, so you can lie in late. The pancakes are a great pick-me-up, or they'll take special requests from burritos to Japanese omelettes.
- Room service Meals can be ordered in from local restaurants until 10pm, and your table set and cleared by Azur’s staff. Burgers, pizza or Thai can also be sourced for a 20 per cent fee.
- Hotel bar Although there’s no dedicated public bar, there’s a sociable drinks scene at Azur. Each evening a buffet bar is set up in the main lodge with a tempting selection of local wines, spirits and beer for guests to quaff before dinner.
Azur Lodge 23 MacKinnon Terrace, Sunshine Bay, Queenstown, Otago, 9300
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Azur Lodge
Arcadia sparkling wine on ice and handmade chocolates in your villa upon arrival
In the know
Our favourite rooms
All villas come with separate lounging areas, ensuite bathrooms replete with rainforest showers and double spa baths, and huge windows bringing the outside in – but we like number 5 for its privacy.
Binoculars for spying on lake action, including historic local steamboat TSS Earnslaw as it cruises past.
To help you chill out, bedrooms come with aromatherapy burners and soothingly scented essential oils. You can also request spa treatments in your room, including massages to get those bungy-jump neck cricks sorted.
From the Guestbook…
The Yin and Yang of Queenstown is no better expressed than in two of its finest eateries. Take adventurous, intimate tapas at Eichardt's by the harbour. Best in the late afternoon ...more